In top form: Flora Duffy is on a hot winning streak but it takes hours of training to get to her level.
In top form: Flora Duffy is on a hot winning streak but it takes hours of training to get to her level.

After three XTERRA wins on the trot, Bermuda’s top female triathlete Flora Duffy is back on her road bike this weekend as she competes in the ITU Dallas Pan American Triathlon. Duffy’s training has been typically full-on in the build-up and she gave the Bermuda Sun an insight into a a day’s training in Boulder, Colorado.

oday is not a typical Tuesday, because I am unfortunately struggling with an injury. 

For anyone who is a runner, you’ll know about the dreaded Plantar Fasciitis. 

I’ve been dealing with it on and off for the past three years but as an athlete, injuries are something that come with the job.

I’m currently not running, so my usual morning track session is replaced by a hard ride. 

I wake up at 6.30am for  coffee and breakfast, and am out the door by 8am for a three-hour mountain bike with Dan and Brad, my South African training partners. 

The workout consists of a 75-minute warm-up and 2 x 20 minutes tempo climbing up Sunshine Canyon — a massive climb right in the heart of Boulder.

The first 20 minutes is in a normal gear, while the second 20-minute effort is in a big gear. 

Big-gear work helps to build strength without spending countless hours in the gym. We ride easy to make it to three hours. Then it’s a quick turn-around (chug a protein shake — Osmo recovery powder, almond milk, water, cinnamon, and honey) and to the gym for my 11.30am strength and conditioning, a new addition to my programme, which is a favourite.

We focus on activating, mobilizing and loading the body. 

All of the movements are specific to triathlon. This workout covers a lot of details that athletes tend to overlook and is directly improving my performance. 

After gym, it’s a short 30-minute steady swim. Even though it is short, it is my least favourite. 

I have a short attention span so going up and down the pool tests my ability to focus. 

Following the swim, it’s a 30-minute aqua jog to make up for the lack of running. 

The aqua run is steady with a few 20-second sprints. Aqua jogging is deceivingly hard.

It is about 2pm and my workouts are done. Now on to fixing my broken body. 

First up: lunch. Dan and Brad like to eat a lot so I’m forced to make a buffet lunch, which is good for me because I struggle to get enough calories. 

On this specific Tuesday I have two doctors’ appointments. The first is an iron IV and the second is to see the best physio in Boulder. 

I struggle with low iron and ferritin levels. Last summer my levels got extremely low, resulting in me not being able to train or race, and in injuries.  

Now I have blood tests regularly. It is not something many people know. 

I then go straight to the physio to have my foot ripped off; deep massage into my foot and heel, breaking down all of the messed up tissue. 

It’s a painful clinging-on-to-the-table-doing-my-best-not-to-scream sort of pain. 

The joys of being an athlete — sometimes it is not all it is cracked up to be. Of course, I survive and will be back  for more pain.

I am home by 6pm and have a few friends around to celebrate my new condo. Two Quinoa salads and wine on the menu. 

It’s then in bed by 9.30pm to rest up for another day of training.

Thanks for reading.