The hospital’s emergency department alone saw more than 34,000 people pass through its doors in 2011. *File photo by Kageaki Smith
FRIDAY, FEB. 17: More than 260 patients lodged complaints at the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital last year.
Health Minister Zane DeSilva said the complaints — 261 in total — included clinical and non-clinical issues.
But he pointed out that the hospital’s emergency department alone saw more than 34,000 people pass through its doors in 2011.
In addition, more than 6,000 got in-patient treatment, while 7,000 outpatient surgical procedures, and 1,500 chemotherapy treatments were also carried out.
Mr DeSilva added that more than 100 people also regularly received kidney dialysis treatment at the King Edward.
He was speaking after the results of an independent patient survey were released.
And he added that there had been “upward trend” in satisfaction with services at the hospital over the last three years.
Mr DeSilva, speaking in the House of Assembly today (Friday) said: “It is not that these results are perfect. They clearly demonstrate areas that need to improve.”
Mr DeSilva said that patient satisfaction in the emergency department went up from 69.1 per cent in 2009 to 75.6 per cent in 2011.
He added: “Given the pressure on space in emergency, it will likely take the move to the new facility in 2014 to improve significantly on this score.
“But small things, like TV screens in waiting areas, 24 hour dedicated housekeeping coverage and renovating bathrooms has helped.”