SATURDAY, JULY 7: Government said it has pulled its funding of the Bermuda Magic: The Renaissance because the contract was broken when some performances were cancelled.
After hearing that the event has been cancelled several times, the Tourism Department sent a letter to the promoters advising that sponsorship would be discontinued.
Bermuda Magic: The Renaissance was a variety show playing in the Harbourview Room of the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. It not only included magic, but soca, calypso, R&B and limbo dancers.
The show was scheduled to run from June 3 to November 1 with most performances on Sundays through Thursdays.
Tourism Minister Wayne Furbert said the decision to terminate sponsorship was regrettable, but was made in the best interests of spending Government funds prudently to ensure maximum return on investment. Minister Furbert added that contractual agreements were not honoured leaving the Department little choice but to end the agreement.
The Department entered into a contract with the local group who planned to put on more than 100 shows at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess between June and November.
The Bermuda Sun attempted contact the producers via phone and e-mail for comment.
Minister Furbert said: “Although there was a very successful launch in early June, the Department became concerned following the initial show about the lack of attendance and the cancellation of later performances.”
Mr Furbert said the Tourism Department had spoken with stakeholders in the hospitality industry many times during the last month to try to encourage guests to attend the event, including working with the visiting cruise ships.