This year I’m definitely going to lose that 20 pounds and eat more healthily and I’m going to clean out the spare room and stop smoking and …
Have you ever made New Year’s resolutions that resulted in permanent change?
When you make New Year’s resolutions no doubt you are motivated, excited and you want them to happen.
The first few days or even weeks go well and it seems that everything you need is in place for successful change so why do resolutions tend to be forgotten so quickly?
The answer is quite simple: Success in bringing about permanent change lies within the realm of the subconscious rather than the conscious mind. The reason all of those resolutions were never achieved is that they were not accepted by the greatest part of your mind.
Research has shown that only about 12 per cent of our mental capacity is controlled by the conscious mind. The other 88 per cent is in the subconscious. If there is no change in our subconscious mind, permanent change is difficult to achieve.
The subconscious mind operates much like a computer. A programme is created from memories, experiences and beliefs. A habit is the result of your subconscious programme being run over and over again so that it becomes automatic.
The patterns have become so entrenched, it usually takes communication with the subconscious mind - through the relaxed, focused state of hypnosis — to help you reprogramme yourself, to un-learn negative habits and replace them with lasting healthier habits.
For example, if your New Year’s resolution is to lose weight or to quit smoking, then the therapist will work together with you and guide you, in hypnosis, to picture yourself achieving your goal, imagining the fun, healthy activities that you will do as a non-smoker or a healthier person and how you can feel more confident.
A new programme is created in your mind, it overwrites the old (bad) habit and once this idea is accepted by the subconscious mind, the positive visualization comes true and you inevitably become a non-smoker or a healthier, slimmer person.
Once your subconscious mind is aligned with your conscious desire for change, not only will change happen, it will be permanent and effortless. After all you will simply be responding to a new stronger programme and the old programme will quickly ebb away.
World Hypnosis Day was on January 4 and hypnotherapists around the world have been asked to provide the public with information about hypnosis and its benefits.
So you may be interested to know that hypnosis is a natural, focused state of mind in which one bypasses the conscious mind to directly access the subconscious.
While in hypnosis, your subconscious can accept positive suggestions, images and feelings that help you to eliminate negative habits or patterns and reach your goals. One wonderful side effect of hypnosis is relaxation and the reduction of stress. While in a pleasant trance state, you focus and imagine achieving your desired goal whether that is to reach your ideal weight, stop smoking, exercise more, or become a better, more confident speaker.
Hypnosis has been recognized by the American Medical Association since 1958 as a valuable therapeutic tool.
So, if you are truly interested in making positive changes this year and keeping your New Year's Resolutions to be fit and healthy, less stressed and more peaceful — consider giving them a jump start with hypnosis. The new You you dreamed about can be a lasting reality, not a forgotten resolution.
Monica Dobbie is an advanced certified hypnotherapist.