Bacardi 150th Anniversary: Special Edition
Key Facts & Figures
Friday, February 03, 2012 3:20 AM
- BACARDI & Cola is the number one cocktail in the world. More than six million are ordered every day.
- Each year, more than 240 million bottles of BACARDI rum are sold around the globe. In 1862 company founder Don Facundo Bacardí Massó sold 1,200 bottles.
- In the past 150 years, more than 12.1 billion bottles have been consumed — 2.4 billion gallons or rum.
- BACARDI rum is used in 7.2 billion cocktails each year. The world population is seven billion. If all these cocktail glasses were placed in a row, it would create a 224,000-mile-long bartop.
- It is recommended a BACARDI rum cocktail should contain six cubes of ice.
- BACARDI rums are mellowed in charred American oak barrels. If all the barrels were stacked, they would equal 676 Empire State Buildings in height.
- BACARDI rum contains a unique yeast strain that contributes to its smooth, mellow taste. This is the same strain cultivated 150 years ago.
- The Original BACARDI ‘Cuba Libre’, a rum and cola, was created at the end of the Spanish American War in 1900, when American soldiers fighting for Cuba’s freedom asked for their Coca-Cola® to be mixed with BACARDI rum. They toasted to a free Cuba, naming it the ‘Cuba Libre’.
- The original Daiquirí was created with BACARDI rum. It was created by an American engineer (Jennings S Cox) working at the Daiquirí mines in Cuba who wanted a refreshing cocktail made with the fresh limes that grew there.
- Authentic Mojitos are made with BACARDI rum, having their roots traced back for centuries in Cuba. The Mojito rose in popularity in Cuba with the creation of BACARDI, and the rum specified in the first recorded Mojito recipe is BACARDI. It was particularly popular among American tourists who flocked to Cuba during the 1930s Prohibition.
- In its 150-year history, BACARDI rum has won more than 400 awards. Not only is it the world’s top-selling rum, but also the most awarded rum.
- The Bacardi Limited portfolio includes rum, vermouth, Scotch, Cognac, brandy, vodka, gin, liquors, tequila, port, wines, malt beverages and beer. Core brands include GREY GOOSE vodka, DEWAR’S Blended Scotch whisky, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE gin, ERISTOFF vodka, CAZADORES tequila, MARTINI vermouth and BACARDI rum.
- Bacardi Limited is owned by seven generations of Bacardí family members — descendants of company founder Don Facundo Bacardí Massó.
- The year of BACARDI’s birth — 1862 — the US was divided in Civil War and Queen Victoria reigned in the UK. French artist Edouard Manet was ushering in the age of modern art while Victor Hugo published his epic novel on social injustice, Les Misérables.
- Eight family Maestros de Ron BACARDI have created a limited-edition blend of rum called Ron BACARDI, de Maestros de Ron, Vintage: MMXII, to celebrate 150 years of the family rum-making tradition. It is the most expensive BACARDI rum created, at a price of $2,000 U.S.