Just how will one of the largest and most famous spirits companies in the world celebrate its 150th birthday?
Bacardi intends to celebrate throughout 2012, with parties around the globe bringing people together in the spirit of its iconic brand.
- 150 days before February 4, 2012, Bacardi launched its ONE Bacardi: Countdown Clock and distributed calendar timelines throughout its offices.
- Anniversary contests were initiated among employees to raise excitement, and to showcase Bacardi’s heritage and the iconic BACARDI Rum brand.
- In the annual BACARDI Global Legacy Cocktail Competition, mixologists from 25 countries have been challenged to invent a cocktail reflecting BACARDI’s heritage. The final will take place on February 20 in Puerto Rico — home to the largest BACARDI rum facility in the world.
- The BACARDI Rum brand team is organizing BACARDI birthday parties in major cities around the world.
The first one takes place in Berlin, Germany, on January 28. It will be attended by 600 guests who will celebrate with iconic BACARDI cocktails.
The birthday celebrations will then sweep through Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Russia, Asia and the Americas.
On February 4, Rolling Stone Magazine will host a 150th birthday party for BACARDI in Indianapolis, US, as part of the magazine’s Super Bowl weekend festivities.
- Every company office around the world will also stage a party for employees, on or around February 4 — Founders Day, with commemorative gifts.
Party themes will reflect key eras in the Bacardi story, such as Prohibition, Roaring Twenties and Tropicana Nights.
- The Bacardi family members — around 500 people — will gather in the Caribbean for a private gala with fireworks on February 4.
- In Bermuda, Bacardi will hold a black tie 150th Anniversary Banquet on February 11 at Rosewood Tucker’s Point. The party theme is ‘ERAS’ reflecting the company’s history: 1860–1910 Bacardi Beginnings; 1910–1960 Expansion/Big Parties; and 1960-2012 Extraordinary Company Growth.
- Bacardi offices around the world will dedicate a month to volunteering in the community in May — Corporate Responsibility Month.
- Consumers can join the party, through anniversary events, BACARDI party packs and commemorative clothing. Promotions and competitions will offer the chance to win apparel featuring vintage advertising images.
Bacardi’s Facebook fans will have the chance to win 1/150 BACARDI Party Crates.
- The company and its BACARDI Rum brand will be featured in National Geographic Channel’s Ultimate Factories series in 166 countries.
- A special anniversary rum has been created, in a limited edition of just 1,000 bottles, priced $2,000.
Ron BACARDI, de Maestros de Ron, Vintage: MMXII has been blended by eight of the 10 living former Maestros de Ron (Master Blenders), all Bacardí family members.
Each crystal decanter is individually finished and numbered.
Only 400 will be made available to the public, in premium retail establishments and select airports. The other 600 decanters will be given to family members.
- In December, a time capsule will be created at the company’s global headquarters in Bermuda. Bacardi offices around the world will provide the material for the installation.