Accused: Edward Shawn Dill denies smuggling 1167.7 grams of liquid cocaine worth $302k. *Photo by Coggie Gibbons
Accused: Edward Shawn Dill denies smuggling 1167.7 grams of liquid cocaine worth $302k. *Photo by Coggie Gibbons
A man accused of ­smuggling more than $300,000 of cocaine into Bermuda yesterday claimed he lied to police about being paid to traffic drugs.

Edward Shawn Dill, 40, told narcotics officers in a taped interview that he had been offered $5,000 to bring more than a kilogram of cocaine to the island from New York.

But yesterday he told the Supreme Court he made a false statement.

In a second interview played in court, he said: "I want every and anything said thus far struck from the record so I don't perjure myself or incriminate ­myself in a court of law.


"I wish the interview not to be admissible in a court of law."

When pressed on the false statements, Dill said: "I ­decline to answer that ­question."

He gave this response to several other questions during both interviews.

Dill, of Sunset Lane, ­Pembroke, denies charges of importing 1167.7 grams - 2lb 7oz - of cocaine paste with a purity of around 77 per cent on ­August 30 and possessing it with intent to supply. The prosecution has told the jury of eight women and four men that Dill smuggled the drugs to Bermuda in a locked Nike bag on a flight from New York.

The bag had his name on it and authorities saw him examine it on the luggage carousel without picking it up. Dill then reported his bag lost and was detained.

The cocaine paste was found in bottles of skin ­lotion and body lotion.


In his first interview with investigators, Dill claimed he had gone to New York for a week's vacation to ­visit a childhood acquaintance, Jamal Wilkinson.

He admits he took the bag with him but without a lock or name tag.

Dill claims that while in New York, he received phone calls about the bag from an unknown Bermudian calling himself ­"Biggy". The call was to identify the lock and a mark on the bag.

A "Bigs" was said in ­evidence to be the nickname of a Jermaine ­Butterfield.

Dill claimed he was being set up, saying: "Somebody put something in my bag. Contraband."

He said the lock was to identify the bag to a contact locally as the one with drugs in it. Dill admitted that he started to unzip the bag on the carousel but stopped when he thought something was "not right".

He added: "I had a ­conversation somewhere that indicated a mark or lock would be put on my bag. I didn't know what to do when I saw the lock. My heart skipped a beat."

He told investigators the bag was never meant to ­enter the baggage hall.

Dill said: "That was what I took from the conversation, that it was supposed to be taken from somewhere outside."

He then claimed he ­received another phone call the night before he was due to leave the U.S.

Dill said: "I told him I ­didn't want to go ahead. I didn't want anything to do with it."

He claims the unknown caller said it was a serious business but there was nothing to worry about.

In cross-examination by defence counsel Marc Daniels, the main investigator in the case admitted telling Dill that he suspected "Biggy" had set someone up in another case.

DC Shannon Swan quoted Mr. Dill as saying: "I'm just a small fish in a big pond in this game.

"If you want the big fish just fingerprint the bottles in my bag and you'll find who that man is."

The case continues in front of Puisne Judge Carlisle Greaves with Mr. Dill beginning his

evidence. Deputy DPP Michael McColm is